This page was updated on September 9, 2019 by Mrs. Ray.
Science Curriculums and Resources
This year our focus will be on a monthly nature study which is encouraged to spill over into a weekly or daily nature study pattern for your family. Nature study, including nature journals is foundational for science studies, will attune your children to the habit of attention and bring a joy and inspiration to your time together if you let the natural wonder and curiosity guide you and your children. Here are some resources for this endeavor:
- A recent handout on nature journals at our informational meet up on Friday, September 6. Click for Side 1 and side 2 of handout.
- Wild and Free Podcast
- The Secret of the Nature Notebook by Sonja Shafer.
- 8 Reasons to do a Nature Study.
- Nature Study in a Nutshell.
- Nature Study, Plus Living Books.
- 10 Do's and Don'ts for Nature Study
- Keeping a Nature Journal by Clare Walker Leslie and Charles E. Roth
- Drawn to Nature by Clare Walker Leslie - examples of a nature journal.
- Ellie's Log by Judith L. Li - A story about a girl and her friend who explore and note their observations. Useful to inspire sound observational and data recording skills for students.
A Variety of Science Resources Utilized by Homeschool Families
(A good, but certainly not exhaustive list.)
Free Middle School Chemistry, including labs for each lesson with items in your home. You can download the lesson plans, learn it together and do the simple labs together that make concepts literal for your student.
Science through Khan Academy - From Physics, Chemistry, and Biology to Electrical Engineering and more!
Wonderful resource all about Fungi from Utah State University!
Science Shepherd is a new offering written by home schoolers for home schoolers offering resources for all ages. This addition to curriculum adds depth and clarity to science learning. Includes beautiful graphics, labs, and goes above and beyond for high school students to receive advanced placement and soundly prepare them for college.
Cell Structures video - nice summary and/or introduction to the structure and function of the cell parts. Beautiful animation that helps give pictures to the amazing happenings in the cells of all living creatures.